The unspoken rule of college is claiming seats for the semester. Once somebody consistently sits somewhere, that’s their seat. And the earlier you show up on the first day, the more likely you are to get your preference. I prefer to have a visual sight over most of the classroom because I’m always prepped for threat. I have a easy escape if I can see a threat coming before it can hurt me, and I’m always closest to the exit. Sitting in the second row of my Communications 101 class room, I can’t see everyone as I would usually prefer, but now it’s because of a threat .
I know he is just sitting there directly behind me. Not doing anything at all, just existing, taking notes, talking to our mutual classmates on either side of him, but each time I have to look at his face an icy river flows through my veins and I clench my fists. I feel like I make a pained face and wince away turning my body into itself. It’s just his face. I don’t even know his name.
My therapist gave me this analogy: “You’re seeing something that looks like a grizzly bear, it’s big, furry, and had claws, but it’s not a grizzly bear its a raccoon. Maybe it’ s a grizzly bear but its behind a fence, and it’s not the same one.”
I know this. I know it’s not a real threat. But my body is trying to alert me to something that looks like the threat that hurt me before that I didn’t take notice of. Slowly, I’m unraveling the past that has made others around me notice the same things. They notice I am very capricious and dual-natured, both loving and apathetic, cold and happy. It seems strange, but through deep analysis, I figured out why and how this dual-nature came about.
I did this little survey called the Jo-hari window, it has the user pick 6 characteristics that they think I possess. I picked 6 as well, these fall into one of 4 boxes, the “Known to self and hidden from others” box. If they pick one of the words that I also picked, it goes into the known to others and to self. If they picked words that I didn’t pick, it goes into another box, “Not known to self, but known to others.” If consensus grows on certain words they become highlighted against the others.
Sitting back, I know that the reason I can be both loving and apathetic/cold is because I keep my emotional distance, but I care deeply when I feel allowed or safe to do so. Sometimes I don’t notice I’m totally emotionally detached until I say something so unempathetic in a situation that requires at least a hint of empathy. I lash out without thinking because I have no emotional forethought.
To conclude this daily life post, I also want to address the antithetical ideas that surround my duality. I also am so emotional. It comes in many waves, spurred from things I can’t predict sometimes, and if recognized as a trigger of emotion, swell up and spill over even more; as if they were all the sudden given approval and allowed to overwhelm me. Maybe this recognition just seems at first like a swelling and then crashing wave, and maybe I’ll soon adapt to be the sand, able to withstand the constant crashing, and able to change with the rising tide.
I wont wince away anymore, cringe internally and externally. I won’t avoid it, but face it all.
(Aside: This is a piece I wrote for the Matrix magazine that I am the junior editor of.)
When the cheating starts, the fighting, the lying, the crushing anxiety. When the fear sets in, and the threats start coming in waves and you want to crawl inside yourself and never leave. When you hide yourself, not your face or your body but you, the colorful, nurtured, lively you. The one who dances in fields in their dreams and has flowers in their hair.
No that person is hidden underneath the shame. Underneath the lies.
The biggest lie is that there is only one way to love.
I was told that loving was limited. The prince and princess and their one love.
Heterosexuality. Monogamy. A singular unity between two people.
This is a lie.
I was scared to question my feelings. I was scared to share with my friends my doubts. They’d say: “No, there is no way you could be a lesbian.”
And I say lesbian because, yet again I thought, it can’t be possible for me to like more than one. I must be greedy. Lustful. Out of control. I must be ravenous for some kind of contact.
But I’m not. I just have a capacity to love more than one gender and more than one person. And that was a well too deep for me to look down into, and when I did look I thought it was just an illusion and it was actually shallow. Shallow as if being more capable to love more than one gender and more than one person was crippling to my heart.
Then, knowing that monogamy and heterosexuality was an incapability of mine, I was unable to love at all.
I figured I should ration my writing ideas for creative writing this year, so here is a list of story ideas.
1. For the assignment concerning a story with 2 different point of views: Scene with a girl committing suicide via a hair dryer in the bath tub, her POV and her brother’s POV.
2. Lunch room assignment: Something with mythical creatures, modern-day highschool. (Vamps, Zombies, Wolves, Fey, Dryads, Pixies, Minotaurs, Centaurs, Setaurs, DemonXAngel OTP (who believe in PDA)
3. Random story: Disney In Hell
4. If Luke and Leia never knew.
5. Someone unlike you assignment: Transvestite: Guy to girl, Athletic, likes Wife swap/family feud etc., Lives in Hawaii,
6. Random story: Girl reading book, narrating story, and adding her own comments,
7. Secret Life of an American Vlogger.
8. Liar Liar Pants on fire, hanging from a telephone wire, Stop yourself from catching fire, gotta a make a lie liar, pants on fire.
9. Creepy dude that only speaks in lyrics from 50s and 60’s songs .
10. Sad boy with no nose. Voldemort, Voldemort, oooh Voldy-Voldemort.
11. Troller, greifer, Prankster, the difference.
12. A character that never speaks, but is only spoken to.
13. Left unsaid.
14. sequel to “.
15. Unexpected ending to sequel.
19. Appendix and references.
20. Author’s Note
25. Rendition of class notes.
26. Collage of Class doodles
27. Short story: One world holding a fairy like people in another dimension, but they are persecuted by the government in the ruin of their civilization, another world, being human but also close to the ruin of our civilization. A scientist, a little girl, and a man travel to the other world. They get separated for a year, the little girl and the man find a woman and her daughter, they make a family unit and are reunited with the scientist. then they travel back to the other dimension in hopes it is slightly better than the Fairy one. It’s not. End.
(10/1/13) 28. Mr. Teacher’s average day
29. A cheating student
30. The life expectancy of a barely developed teenager.
31. I wonder why I have to do this assignment again for Mr. Teacher. I got extra credit but here is the updated stuff… An idea about: Watching someone blog. Watching someone be self-absorbed.
32. Middle schoolers. The horror.
33. People asking the same question, same answer was given by character finally at the end the character gives a different answer… is it a lie?
34. Morality. What in all flying fucks is it?
35. An over interest in people’s faces. An obsessed Character with some issues
36. The decision to look someone in the eye.
37. Why I do I still care?
38. Is updating this gonna actually give me credit for this assignment or is it simply a waste of my time? Do I get anything from this ? Experience Points? Ey?
39. I write endless lists…. An idea to write an endless list.
40. A story about a bunch of townies in a library,(like where I am sitting now) everybody knows every body…
I’ll have a part 2 eventually.
Enjoy the rest of the summer!! ❤